What is included in the course?
GCSE Religious Education follows the EDUQAS Spec B syllabus. It is about examining Catholic Christianity; the teachings, the traditions and its thinking. RE is about looking at different views and arguments not only within Catholic Christianity but also with Judaism and some non-religious beliefs. Areas include:
- Beliefs about the Origin of the universe, including:
- Genesis (ex-nihilio)
- The Big Bang
- Charles Darwin and Richard Dawkins
- Views on the value of human life and abortion
- Christian and non-Christian teachings on preserving the Planet and the Environment
- Imago Dei and Catholic Social Teaching
- The work of CAFOD and the SYP
- Sin and Forgiveness
- Good and Evil and the problems it causes believers
- Tolerance and Respect
- Gospel Values
How will I be assessed?
- Y9 & Y10: End of term topic test
- Y11: Three written external exams 2 papers on Catholic Christian Studies. I :30 mins I paper on Judaism – I hour) All will take place in the Sununer of Year 11.
What grades are available?
This course is worth a full GCSE ,’Ii th a grade from 1-9. Grade 9 being the top grade.
Progression and Career Opportunities
RE is a popular subject studied on to A-Level (Philosophy and Ethics). It is a good foundation for anyone who wants a job in Law, Education, Health Service or Business.
Who should I contact for more information?